Tips for Energy Efficient Lighting Retrofit and Design
There are unlimited benefits to upgrading lighting within your business premises, the most important being greater efficiency and lower energy costs. Studies show that overhead lights account for more than 50% of energy usage in commercial spaces. In addition to saving electricity, redesigning lighting to include the latest technology improves illumination quality, safety, productivity and real estate value. Your utility provider may also offer incentives for green retrofits. However, every project is different, so it is important to know what is involved, in order to optimize results. Our experienced commercial electricians offer a step-by-step guide to successful lighting retrofits.
How to Get Your Money’s Worth from Lighting Upgrades
- Define your goals: Are you looking purely for energy savings? Do you want to improve lighting quality? Eager to reduce the number of ongoing bulb replacements dipping into your maintenance budget? Identifying your needs will help create a proper lighting plan and design.
- Understand your business needs: For example, high heat in restaurants and damp environments around pools and spas require different types of fixtures and bulbs compared to an office or reception area.
- Assess your current lighting and energy usage: A lighting audit is a critical step in planning. The findings can help identify your usage, overall requirements and areas for improvement.
- Understand the pros and cons of using existing fixtures: While it can reduce initial investment and effort, long term operational costs and maintenance could be higher. For instance, your existing ballasts must support LED bulbs.
- Invest in lighting controls: Creating lighting schedules can reduce your usage by up to 50%. Dimming lights brings another 20 to 30% of energy savings. Having them turned on only when needed will increase the lifespan of your lighting systems in addition to reducing your electricity bills.
- Hire an experienced commercial electrician: Proper lighting design and installation are important for employee and building safety, and consequently, the financial security of your business.
- Maintain your lighting system: A maintenance program helps optimize the efficiency and benefits of your investment. Dirt, dust and aging fixtures reduce lighting levels affecting employee productivity and safety as well as increasing your energy costs.
Lighting Retrofit and Design by Licensed Commercial Electricians
The right lighting retrofit and design can yield significant returns. At J & S Electrical Contractors, Inc., we offer customized solutions to improve your energy efficiency. Over the years, we have helped hundreds of medical, commercial and industrial facilities across New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Delaware realize ongoing operational savings. From system design for new facilities to upgrading electrical panels and lighting for an expansion to routine maintenance and repairs, you can count on us for prompt response and cost-efficient services.
Our comprehensive electrical services include machinery design and layout assistance, design and installation of power control systems, safety and security system installs, testing and commissioning, and 24/7 emergency repair services. You can depend on our licensed and experienced electricians to upgrade your systems efficiently and safely.
Call us at 215-633-8330 to learn more about our electrical services. You can also request a quote online for energy efficient lighting upgrades and retrofit design.