Reducing business energy costs involves implementing energy-efficient operational procedures. Inadequate equipment maintenance and unsustainable practices are the main causes of high energy bills.
Our team at J&S Electrical Contractors offers 10 tips valuable tips to help reduce your operational expenses.
- Divert high energy usage to off peak hours: Familiarize yourself with the time-of-use pricing your utility company offers. Try and schedule high usage for low or off-peak times when the rates are reduced. Train your employees to follow this practice and determine how you can lower energy usage with more initiatives.
- Get an energy audit done: Have a professional energy auditor (or an energy audit company) assess your business premises for potential energy savings through equipment replacement, operational practices, or building systems and envelopes projects. To reduce cost, check with local utility companies about free energy audit programs and incentives for improving energy efficiency.
- Replace existing bulbs with CFLs and LEDs: Compact Fluorescent Lamps (CFLs), and Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs) typically use about 25%-80% less energy than traditional incandescent ones. They also last up to 25 times longer.
- Switch off equipment when not in use: Make it a point to turn off (and unplug if possible) office equipment, the microwave, coffee vending machines, lights and air conditioners after-hours and on weekends and holidays. These continue to draw power if they are plugged in. Encourage employees to use the hibernation feature of computers and laptops. You may also consider plugging these items into a power bar with a switch that can be easily turned off when they are not in use.
- Opt for energy efficient devices: Selecting energy-efficient equipment and appliances can result in significant savings over the years. Look for ENERGY STAR® products which are certified for their energy-efficiency.
- Invest in a programmable thermostat: It can automatically adjust the temperature of your office or factory when no one is working; thus, bringing you significant energy savings. In addition, lowering the temperature by one degree during winter and increasing it a degree in summer can reduce power usage by up to 10%.
- Look out for small drafts: Check windows and doors for leaks and seal them properly. Even the smallest drafts can drive up your heating and cooling costs.
At J & S Electrical Contractors, Inc., we offer customized solutions to meet the specific requirements of your commercial or industrial facility. Quality workmanship, personalized attention and on-time, within-budget project completions have earned us the continued loyalty of our customers. For over 25 years, plant and facility managers in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, and across the country depend on us for a wide variety of electrical, commercial and mechanical contractor services.
Ask us how to make your business more energy efficient. From new electrical system installation to facility upgrade or expansion, our vast experience enables us to seamlessly co-ordinate every aspect of your project. Our commercial electricians are fully licensed, certified and up-to-date with technology and safety codes. Detailed preparation and attention sets our company apart. From installation to maintenance and emergency repairs, you can rely on us for cost-efficient electrical solutions and exceptional customer service.
Call us at 215-633-8330 to learn more about our electrical services. Or request a quote online for your commercial and industrial projects.