Essential to food operations and grocery stores, commercial refrigeration equipment operates round-the-clock and contributes to high energy bills. According to the US Department of Energy (DOE), commercial refrigerators typically consume up to 17,000 kilowatt-hours of electricity and large ones around 38,000 kilowatt-hours. Selecting energy-efficient models and making a few operational changes can make a significant difference to your energy bills.
In this article, our experienced commercial electricians share 7 tips to help reduce your energy usage on refrigeration:
- Make sure there is adequate space around the equipment: Proper air flow over the heat exchange coils increases efficiency and helps maximize equipment lifespan. Avoid placing refrigerators near prime cooking appliances that emit heat.
- Keep the refrigeration system clean: Making sure the condenser and evaporator coils are dust-free helps improve heat transfer, thus lowering the amount of energy used. Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for equipment maintenance.
- Ensure that gaskets have a tight seal: This prevents warm, humid air from entering the refrigerator that makes it work harder to keep the inside cool. The cooler your refrigerator, the less energy and wastage of food!
- Turn off door heaters: Only keep them on when condensation is visible on the doors. Installing adaptive controls which turn on and off automatically when necessary reduces your effort and energy bills.
- Install motion sensors for case lighting: Also consider upgrading to LED lighting in refrigerators. In addition to consuming less energy and lasting longer, they give off less heat.
- Add night covers or curtains: This prevents refrigerated air from escaping so your commercial refrigeration equipment does not have to run at full power after business hours.
- Install automatic door closers for walk-in coolers: This prevents loss of energy from open doors. Never prop open the doors either.
In 2014, the DOE announced new standards which aimed at making commercial refrigerators and freezers 30% more efficient. Replacing old equipment with newer energy efficient models will deliver savings on every bill. Products with the Energy Star label are, on an average, 20% more efficient than standard models.
At J & S Electrical Contractors, Inc., we offer a full range of commercial electrical services including refrigeration equipment installation, upgrades and repair. Our tailored solutions for improving energy efficiency have helped hundreds of clients significantly lower their operational expenses. For over 25 years, plant and facility managers depend on us for a wide variety of electrical, commercial and mechanical contractor services.
Ask us for a custom plan to lower your energy usage and maximize equipment service life. Our commercial electricians are fully licensed, certified and up-to-date with technology and safety codes. From installation to maintenance and emergency repairs, you can count on us for cost-efficient electrical solutions.
Call us at 215-633-8330 to learn more about our electrical services. Or request a quote online for your commercial and industrial refrigeration projects.