Need to upgrade the electrical supply at your business premises? Standard panels can provide 100, 150, 200, 325, 400, 600 or 800 amps of power with the potential to add more circuits. Determining how much power you need is essential to operating cost-efficiently and safely. Our experienced electricians share tips on how to go about sizing amp service for your commercial or industrial facility.
5 Key Steps to Upgrading Your Electrical System
- Calculate your electrical load: This helps ensure your building’s power distribution system is reliable, safe and compliant to code. List out all your electrical equipment (including your HVAC system and building controls), devices (computers, printers, etc.) and appliances (such as the coffee maker, microwave, refrigerator, etc.) as well as lighting and building signs.
- Understand usage: Each business is unique; so, understanding exactly how your facility operates will allow your commercial electrician to design a power distribution system that is appropriate for you. For instance, determining what machines and tools will need to operate simultaneously is a more accurate representation of your power requirements as opposed to simply calculating the total load on a particular circuit.
- Consider future electrical demands: Are you planning to add more machines or work stations in the coming months or year? Thinking ahead can help you save on future installation costs as well as prevent sudden outages and electrical accidents caused by overloading. Be aware that electrical service size impacts your month-to-month energy costs, so do not go bigger unless you have concrete expansion plans.
- Check the amp ratings of your current electrical panel: This will determine whether you can simply add more electrical circuits or need a higher capacity panel.
- Contact a licensed commercial electrician: Upgrading your ampacity is a highly specialized and complex job best left to trained and licensed electrical professionals. In addition to operational efficiency, they can ensure compliance with the National Electrical Code (NEC) standards for safe installation of electrical wiring and equipment in the United States.
Installation, Repair and Maintenance by Licensed Commercial Electricians
If your business has grown, or you have new equipment, it is possible that you may have outgrown your current commercial panel. Flickering lights, blown fuses and corrosion inside an electrical cabinet are signs you need an upgrade. At J & S Electrical Contractors, Inc., we offer customized solutions for medical, commercial and industrial facilities across New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Delaware. From system design for new facilities to upgrading electrical panels and lighting for an expansion to routine maintenance and repairs, we efficiently manage all your needs.
Our comprehensive electrical services include machinery design and layout assistance, design and installation of power control systems, safety and security system installs, testing and commissioning, and 24/7 emergency repair services. Count on us to keep your electrical systems working efficiently and safely.
Call us at 215-633-8330 to learn more about our electrical services. You can also request a quote online for your commercial and industrial projects.