Efficient industrial energy management is the key to reducing operating costs and staying competitive. Studies show that nearly 30% of the energy used in the manufacturing sector is wasted. Inefficient lighting, equipment, refrigeration and heat processing systems as well as leaky compressors are the likely causes. Identifying idle equipment and making small operational and maintenance changes can have a positive impact on your bottom line.
Our experienced commercial electricians share 5 tips to help advance your conservation goals and lower your energy costs.
- Lighting: Improving lighting efficiency is one of the easiest ways to lower your energy bills. Switch to energy efficient lighting with control systems that allow you to monitor and manage usage. Install occupancy sensors to further reduce wastage.
- Machinery: A facility energy audit will help you determine which machinery uses the most energy. If possible, schedule usage of these machines outside of peak hours. This can reduce your power usage by up to 30%. Investing in premium efficiency motors will also lower energy consumption and improve productivity.
- Air compressors: An expensive component of facilities (up to 20% in certain industries) that use them, studies reveal that even a single compressor leak can cost your business $500 or more annually. Fixing leaks, eliminating unnecessary usage, and installing controls to optimize performance can result in significant operational savings.
- Scheduled shut-downs and start-ups: Powering off machinery after hours and on weekends and holidays can substantially lower your usage. As can staggering mechanical equipment start-ups to avoid large spikes in your energy demand.
- Maintenance: Regular maintenance of your machines, HVAC units, and refrigeration systems helps keep them at peak efficiency. Malfunctioning equipment will waste energy and add up costs.
Begin with an energy audit of your industrial facility. This will help quantify your usage and determine areas of wastage as well as offer recommendations on which energy-efficient upgrades will bring the most returns.
At J & S Electrical Contractors, Inc., we offer a full range of industrial electrical services. Whether you are commissioning a new plant, planning a facility expansion or upgrading machinery and equipment, we can help. Our tailored solutions aim to save you the most money. From machinery to power controls, safety and security systems to testing and commissioning services, we are committed to minimize your liabilities and cost. For over 25 years, industrial plant managers in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, and across the country depend on us for a wide variety of electrical, commercial and mechanical contractor services.
Ask us for a custom plan to improve energy efficiency and productivity in your plant. Our commercial electricians are fully licensed, certified and up-to-date with technology and safety codes. From installation to maintenance and emergency repairs, our cost-efficient electrical solutions will help optimize your operational efficiency.
Call us at 215-633-8330 to learn more about our electrical services. You can also request a quote online for your commercial and industrial projects.