Tips for Manufacturing Line Equipment Installations
Correct installation is critical to optimizing line equipment performance and reliability. Often, poor product quality and high operational costs are the unfortunate result of improper machine set up. Our experienced industrial electricians outline key installation requirements to minimize downtime, cost and wastage.
Checklist for Installing Line Equipment in Your Manufacturing Facility
- Stable mounting surface: Flooring must be able to support the weight of the machine. Inadequate firmness or support can cause abnormal vibration which affects equipment performance and service life. The result is higher maintenance and repair costs. Concrete and structural steel easily absorb normal vibration levels. However, it is wise to check if your machine needs additional reinforcements rather than find out the hard way with work interruptions due to breakdowns. Make use of anchor bolts if necessary.
- Electrical requirements: Check these prior to installation so that you can have everything ready. Your equipment supplier can provide the necessary information about power, pneumatic and dedusting requirements. Make sure that equipment voltage and phase match that of your facility. Also, inquire if cables are included or need to be purchased separately.
- Machine alignment: Studies suggest that more than 60% of machine failures can be traced back to improper installation. Of these, around 35% occur on account of alignment and levelling issues. Follow manufacturer recommendations for proper alignment of machine driver and driven units. More importantly, make sure you hire trained technicians for installations.
- Adequate lighting: Check whether positioning of current fixtures will suffice for the new machine or if you will need to supplement them. With the latest lighting technology being significantly more energy efficient, you may want to take this opportunity to upgrade.
- Testing and commissioning: Following a proper commissioning process will reward you with longer machine life. First list out what is needed to test the equipment, such as pallets, wrapping film, bagger, etc. Next, inspect mechanical and electrical installations to ensure you meet the required parameters. When testing equipment operation, check load sharing, operating temperatures and vibrations.
Customized Mechanical Design and Installation Services Nationwide
Need to install new machinery in your industrial facility? Expanding your operations or commissioning a new manufacturing unit? At J & S Electrical Contractors, Inc., we offer turnkey mechanical services to meet the unique needs of your facility. We will evaluate your requirements and offer a customized plan to minimize breakdowns and costly downtime. Over the years, we have helped hundreds of commercial and industrial firms nationwide run cost-effective operations.
For a new construction, upgrade or buildout, we have the expertise and resources to provide quick turnaround irrespective of where you are in the country. With comprehensive mechanical services including machinery design and layout assistance, installations, system maintenance and 24/7 emergency repair services, we help keep your facility running at peak efficiency. Count on our trained and experienced electricians for customized solutions to improve your bottom line.
Call us at 215-633-8330 to learn more about our mechanical services. You can also request a quote online for hassle-free manufacturing line equipment installations nationwide.