Property management and development comes with its own unique set of challenges. Of critical importance is electrical safety. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), approximately 48,000 fires involving faulty equipment, improper installation and/or misuse of electrical systems cause deaths, injuries and $1.5 billion in property damage every year. Having your systems installed and regularly maintained by qualified commercial electricians can prevent this type of destruction and loss at your business premises.
To reduce the incidence of electrical fires, the Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI) has designated May as National Electrical Safety Month. Do a self-audit of your systems to identify and fix potential problems. Whether you are managing a residential building or developing a retail facility, negligence can cost you dearly. Our experienced electrical contractors have provided a checklist below to help you keep your residents and employees safe.
Electrical Safety Self-Audit Checklist
- Ensure your workers use electrical gloves and footwear while handling electrical materials at a construction site.
- Always use a surge protector to shut off the worksite’s power supply during an emergency.
- Have your electrical and lighting systems designed and installed by a qualified electrician.
- Install an adequate number of receptacles to avoid the use of extension cords.
- Use arc fault circuit interrupters (AFCIs) and ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) to reduce the risk of shock.
- Test the AFCIs and GFCIs every month to ensure they are working properly.
- Ensure all outdoor receptacles have GFCI protection.
- Keep electrical appliances away from water.
- Keep the area around your electric meter and other electrical equipment clear.
- Check electrical cords for damage and replace them in a timely manner.
- Call a qualified electrician to resolve problems such as blown fuses, tripping circuits, flickering or dimming lights, and outlets or switches that feel warm or hot.
- Hire a licensed electrician for any electrical work during property renovation projects.
Installation, Repair and Maintenance by Licensed Commercial Electricians
Not following prescribed electrical safety codes can put you in trouble with the law. At J & S Electrical Contractors, Inc., we offer tailored solutions to meet the unique requirements of property managers and developers. From new electrical installs to wiring upgrades, lighting improvements and maintenance contracts, we can look after all your electrical needs in a timely and cost-efficient manner.
Our staff is fully licensed, insured, and up to date on the latest safety codes. We work with a variety of businesses, including medical, commercial and industrial facilities across New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Delaware.
Our comprehensive electrical services include machinery design and layout assistance, design and installation of power control systems, safety and security system installs, testing and commissioning, and 24/7 emergency repair services. Count on us to keep your electrical systems working safely and efficiently.
Call us at 215-633-8330 to learn more about our electrical services. You can also request a quote online for your commercial and industrial projects.