From recessed kitchen lighting to parking garage and outdoor area illumination, the list of LED lighting products for residential, commercial and industrial purposes is continually growing. Rapid advances in LED technology are resulting in improved performance and cheaper pricing virtually every year.
If you are considering converting to LED lighting, here are some pros and cons to be aware of.
5 Advantages of LED Lighting
- Energy efficient: LED lighting is estimated to offer 80% to 90% energy efficiency when compared to traditional incandescent lights. This is because the LED method of producing light loses far less energy to heat than traditional lighting technology.
- Longer lasting: While a standard incandescent bulb delivers an average of 20,000 hours of light, LED lights can last for as long as 100,000 hours. This is equivalent to approximately 11 years of continuous operation, or 22 years of 50% operation.
- More durable: LEDs are built with sturdy materials and are therefore, more rugged than their traditional counterparts. They are resistant to vibration, shock and certain degree of external impact. This is why they do not shatter or break as easily as incandescent light bulbs.
- Cheaper to use: Since LED lamps last longer, they do not have to be replaced as often as incandescent ones. In addition to this, you also save on the cost of lighting them up, which typically accounts for about 7% to 10% of your energy bill.
- Eco-friendly: LED lights are 100% recyclable. They also do not contain any toxic materials like the mercury vapor in CFLs and have significantly reduced CO2 emissions. Experts say they can help to reduce your carbon footprint by up to a third.
Disadvantages of LED Lights
With continual improvements in LED technology, much of the initial complaints of flickering, dimming problems or failure in high temperature conditions have been greatly reduced. Choosing good quality LED lighting with an Energy Star rating can help you maximize its benefits. Although initial purchase price is definitely higher than traditional bulbs, the savings you enjoy over the lifespan of LEDs makes them worth the switch.
At J & S Electrical Contractors, Inc., our solutions are customized to meet the unique needs of your industrial or commercial facility. For over 25 years, plant and facility managers in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, and across the country depend on us for a full range of electrical, commercial and mechanical contractor services. Our aim is to meet your timeline and budget while exceeding your expectations.
Discuss your LED lighting project with us. Our commercial electricians are fully licensed, certified, and up-to-date with technology and safety codes. From installation to maintenance and emergency repairs, you can count on us for quality work and cost-efficient electrical solutions.
Call us at 215-633-8330 to learn more about our electrical services. Or request a quote online for your commercial and industrial LED lighting projects.